Mommy’s Day Out



Today was the first time since the day Olive was born, that I got to go out. I made plans about two weeks ago to meet my friend Kelly for lunch at our favorite sushi place. We agreed to meet up at around 1:00 in the afternoon.

Since I had barely left my house in the last month, I was also in dire need of a manicure. Now I really don’t spend a lot of money on myself, like once in a while I’ll buy a new dress here or there, but the one thing that I do like to splurge on are manicures and pedicures.

My plan was to leave a little early, get a manicure first, then meet Kelly for lunch, and then stop at Buy Buy Baby and Target for diapers, wipes and formula. Unfortunately, I was running kind of late. Here’s what happened…

I woke up around 7:30, but I was so tired because Olive had woke up for the third time around 6:00 and was having a hard time going back to sleep. I finally got her back to sleep right around 8:00 and was so tired that I decided to sleep a little bit longer. So I slept for another hour, woke up around 9:00 and got myself ready for the day. I took a shower, straighten my hair, did my make up and put on a super cute dress. By the time I was done it was around 10:00 and Olive was just waking up again.

I started getting Olive ready by giving her her daily sponge bath for the day. Just when I had finished cleaning her and put a new diaper on I heard the dreaded sound of her pooping herself. So I had to clean her and change her again. Afterwards I gave her a bottle and had her sit on my lap as I fed her on the couch. When I was almost done feeding her I felt a warm liquid on my right thigh. Olive had peed so much that it went right through her diaper. It probably didn’t help that the diaper she was wearing was a size too big, which was why I was going to out to get more diapers that fit her better.

So I had to change her diaper again. Then I went back to feeding and burping her. I held her over my right shoulder and started patting her back, when I suddenly felt her spit up all over my shoulder and in my hair. I used a wipe to quickly clean myself off and then finished taking care of her. afterwards I fixed myself up and gathered my things to leave.

The time I wanted to leave the house was at 11:30, the time I actually left the house was at 11:51. I went to a near by shopping center to get Kelly an engagement gift, because she recently got engaged. So I picked up an engagement card and a bridal magazine. By the time I was done it was 12:30 and I knew there was no way that I would have time to get my nails done before meeting her so I just headed over to the sushi place.

We had a wonderful and very yummy lunch. It was all you can eat sushi and I love, love, love sushi! It was so nice to see Kelly again and catch up with her. Kelly and I have been friends for 10 years. We have hung out a lot and made many fun memories together. Being with Kelly today made me feel like I was 21 again. I liked it. It was kind of bitter sweet because on the one hand, I love my daughter and I love being a mother and I’m excited to experience motherhood as the years go by. On the other hand, I do miss the days where I hang out with my friends. I miss going out to eat, going to the movies, hanging out at each others houses etc. Not that I can’t hang out with my friends anymore. I can, but now it’s different. It was nice to get a glimpse of the old days back, even if it was just for a little bit.

After I said good-bye to Kelly, I noticed that there was a nail place literally right next to the sushi place so I ended up getting my nails done there. I got the classic french manicure, which I haven’t gotten in a while. Usually I pick some crazy color, but today I was really set on having white tips. I’m looking down at my nails right now as I’m typing this and I love the way it looks. There’s just something about getting my nails done that really gives my confidence a boost.

Anyway I called my husband to check up on Olive, because although I was having a nice time, I still missed her and felt like I was on a time limit even though I wasn’t. Kevin said everything was great and asked me to pick up more paper towels even though he had just picked a bunch up literally two days ago. The paper towels go so fast in my house, it’s crazy.

Anyways I went to Buy Buy Baby to pick up some diapers and formula, because I still had 25 dollars left on my gift card and I was hoping it would cover it, but I soon discovered that the 1 box of diapers alone was over 25 dollars and when I was checking out I tried to use some coupons I had for Buy Buy Baby and the guy was like, “We don’t take coupons for diapers, wipes or formula.” Really?! The three most important things parents need to care for their children and you won’t take any coupons for them? What a bunch of bullshit! Anyways it came to 40 dollars and some change, so I ended up spending another 16 dollars. I didn’t realize baby supplies were so expensive.

Next I headed to Target, which was in the same shopping center. I also had a 20 dollar gift card there so I got more wipes and paper towels and tried my best to fight the urge the buy more stuff. They had so many cute things. They had cute clothes, cute accessories, they had a ton of things for Father’s Day and the Fourth of July. They even had sparklers, which I almost got, but I stopped myself. Once I had paid, I grabbed my bags and it was time to go home.

I was so happy to see Olive. She was swinging in her little swing, happy as could be. I was really happy that she spend some alone time with my husband, because I think it’s good for them to have special daddy/daughter time.

Tomorrow I’m taking Olive to a family baby shower and I’m super nervous, because other than taking her for walks around the neighborhood and taking her to the near by pediatrician, she has not been around that many people. I hope she is okay and it goes smoothly.

Fingers crossed. đŸ™‚

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s